- You should get up as early as your mother.
同じ程度を表す肯定文には(as ~(原級)as….)を否定文には(not as_so)~(原級)as..)を用いる。
- He is not asso) tall as you.
- Nothing is as(so) important as love.
Try as hard as possible.
- She is not so much a singer as an actress. (~よりはむしろ…)
- He left the room without so much as saying good-by. (~さえしないで)
- She is as great a violinist as ever lived. (これまでのだれにも劣らず)
- I waited five minutes – they seemed as many hours to me. (同数の)
- He has three times as many books as I.
倍数を表すのに(X times[twice, half] as ~ as ….の形を用いる。(X times[twice, half] + 比較 級 + than….)の形が使われることもある。
- The higher we go up, the colder the air becomes.
比較級に the を用いる場合
- He is the taller of the two. (2人のうちの~の方)
- I like her all the better for her faults. (…のためにそれだけますます~)
- She is superior to me in math.
ラテン語系の比較級(superior, inferior, junior, senior)では than ではなくて to を伴う。
- Osaka is the third largest city in Japan.
- To the best of my knowledge, he is the best player on our team. (私の知る限り)
- You should study for at least three hours a day. (少なくとも)
- No (other) mountain in Japan is as high as Mt. Fuji.
= Mt. Fuji is higher than any other mountain in Japan.
= Mt. Fuji is the highest mountain in Japan.
- A whale is no more a fish than a horse is. cf. A whale is no less a mammal than a horse is.
- As she grew, she became more and more silent.
- no more than ~「たったの~,わずか~」( = only ~)
- no less than ~ 「~も(の)」( = as many [much] as ~)
- not more than ~「せいぜい~, 多くて~」( = at most ~)
- not less than ~「少なくとも~」( = at least ~)
- more or less「多かれ少なかれ」
- sooner or later「遅かれ早かれ」
- not ~ any more = no more ~「これ以上~でない」
- not ~ any longer = no longer ~「もはや~でない」
- This lake is deepest at this point.
同一物の比較で、最上級が補語のとき,ふつう the をつけない。
- He can run(the) fastest in our class. (副詞の最上級。《米》ではthe をつける方が多い)
- This is Japan’s most popular summer resort. (所有格が the の代川)
- She is a most kind woman. (most = very)
- The wisest man makes mistakes.
- She can speak French much more fluently than he.
- Tom is far more diligent than you.
- I have many more books than she. (more が many の比較級の場合)
- Ann is the very youngest of us all.
- He is by far the best player on our team.
- As long as I live, I’ll never forget your kindness.
cf. As far as I know, she is a reliable person.
as long as ~:時間の制限・範囲, as far as ~:距離や程度の制限・範囲を表す接続詞。